Places munzees are virtual game pieces to be positioned at locations that may be of interest all around the world. These munzees can be captured once per MHQ day by other players. You do not have to wait 24 hours before you can re-cap it, e.g. you can capture it at 11:30 MHQ time on Monday and 9:21 MHQ time on Tuesday. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO CAPTURE YOUR OWN POI. The capture mulligan WILL NOT work to fix a POI capture streak.
The more detail you provide in the notes on your munzee, the quicker it can be approved. If there is a website for the location please update the notes and include it. This is particularly important for the Drinks Depot place.
Each capture of a Places Munzee will earn you 20 points (Excluding Gardens which give 10).
There are currently twenty-four types of Places Munzees available to players:
- Airport Places Munzees can be deployed at most airports in the world.
- Sports Stadium Places Munzees can be deployed at stadiums of major sporting leagues around the world, including soccer (football), hockey, and rugby.
- Wildlife Places Munzees can be deployed at zoos, aquariums, wildlife preserves, or animal sanctuaries around the world.
- Museum Places Munzees can be deployed at museums, art galleries and similar locations around the world.
- University Places Munzees can be deployed at a Universities/Colleges around the world.
- Faith Places Munzees can be deployed at places of faith (churches, synagogues, mosques, etc) around the world.
- Historical Places Munzees can be deployed at historical building or venues around the world.
- First Responder Places Munzees can be deployed at First Responder stations (Fire Departments, Police Stations, etc) around the world.
- Library Places Munzees can be deployed at public libraries around the world.
- Hospital Places Munzees can be placed at hospitals.
- Post Office Places Munzees can be placed at actual post offices.
- Cemetery Places Munzees can be placed at cemeteries.
- Unique Attractions Munzees can be deployed at unique attractions across the world.
- Virtual Garden Places Munzees can be deployed as an indicator of a Munzee Virtual Garden.
- Cinema Places Munzees can be deployed at movie theaters and cinemas around the world.
- Transportation Places Munzees can be deployed at mass transit stations around the world.
- Play Park Places Munzees can be deployed at smaller parks and playgrounds around the world.
- Bank Places Munzees: Bank Places Munzees can be deployed at official bank buildings around the world.
- Beach Places Munzees: Beach Places Munzees can be deployed at many types of beaches around the world.
- Campground Places Munzees: Campground Places Munzees can be deployed at officially designated campgrounds around the world.
- Golf Places Munzees: Golf Places Munzees can be deployed at official recreation places used for golfing around the world.
- Drink Depot Places Munzees: Drink Depot Places Munzees can be deployed at places used for producing alcoholic beverages around the world.
- Entertainment Places Munzees: Entertainment Places Munzees can be deployed at places used for indoor entertainment around the world.
- Pet Places Munzees: Pet Places Munzees can be deployed at places relating to pets around the world. Veterinary clinics or Pet hospitals will also be allowed.
Places Munzees are NOT blastable.
Players can deploy their Places munzee from the online Munzee map. Only one Places munzee may be deployed at each location (excluding Beach), so you may have to get creative with where you deploy these. Once you deploy the munzee it will then be sent to an MHQ staff member for approval. Places deploys will be approved within 24-48 hours, but these are manually approved, so please be patient. Once your deploy is approved or denied you’ll receive an email notification.
Cap On: 10
- Places Munzees cannot be deployed within a mile of the same type, but can be deployed within a mile of another type.
- You cannot cap your own Places munzee.
- You will deploy Places munzees from your account, so you will get the points when people cap it. These may be capped by players once per MHQ 24 hour time period so there is potential for a lot of cap-on points.
- Places munzees are not blastable.
- Each* has a 1,000 ft capture radius. (*This does not include airports which have a 1 mile capture radius.)
- Can be captured once per 24 hour MHQ day by players.
- There are a limited amount of each type of Places munzees for sale.
- Places munzees will cost $10 each and players are limited to purchase one of each type per account every 30 days.
- For quicker approval, descriptively name your Places deploy so we can easily tell if it fits the criteria.
- When deploying your Places munzee look for a designated icon on Google Maps. This makes the approval process much easier.
- Deploy your Places munzee at entrances and other areas that are easily accessible for other players. For example, don't deploy your Sports Stadium Places munzee in the middle of the field.
- If your Places munzee deploy is declined, you will receive a brief explanation as to why in the followup email.
- Even if your location was available at the time of deployment it may be taken by another player who selected that location before you.
- If your Places munzee deploy is denied, you’ll still be able to resubmit, but please consider the notes the approver listed for the denial.
- UPDATE 3/05/2019 - Disney Properties are off-limits for Place Munzee deploys. Previous deploys will remain, but going forward from this date there will be no more allowed.
Places Type Criteria:
- Most major international, national and regional airports will be accepted.
- Field and SeaPlane runways will be accepted, if designated as official on Google Maps.
- The Airport must be active and in use.
- No military bases will be accepted.
- No heliports will be accepted.
- No model/RC airplane runways will be accepted.
- Most Major and Minor League Sports stadiums will be accepted.
- No U-18 school stadiums will be accepted- only colleges/universities.
- No youth league stadiums will be accepted- only Pro/Semi-Pro facilities.
- No country clubs or resorts will be accepted.
- No pools/natatoriums will be accepted.
- Zoos, Aquariums, Conservation Facilities, etc will be accepted.
- The space must be open to the public for tours and include animals. Botanical gardens will not be accepted.
- Viewing centers will not be accepted.
- All locations must be permanent, so no traveling zoos or attractions.
- Petting Zoos are allowed as long as they are a permanent attractions.
- Adoption facilities will not be accepted.
- Most local, national and international museums will be accepted.
- History, science and art museums are all acceptable.
- No art studios or small galleries, unless considered a museum.
- No statues or singular landmarks.
- No historical sites, unless they have a major museum component.
- Most Importantly: University Places Munzees must be deployed at a University/College. Please no college annex buildings at grade schools (common in parts of the US).
- Only 1 University Places Munzee will be allowed per campus. When deploying, please try and position the munzee at the main entrance on the university/college campus.
- The university/college must be accessible to all, not a private/closed campus.
- No research institutions unless they are part of a university/college system.
- Can not be deployed at "Little Free Libraries".
- Cemeteries will not be accepted.
- Churches will not be accepted as they have their own place type.
- Hospitals will not count for this type.
- No animal hospitals.
- No urgent care facilities will be accepted.
- Mailboxes will not be accepted.
- Standalone post offices only
- No UPS, No FedEx, No DHL. Government postal carriers only
- No funeral homes or crematoriums will be accepted.
- Human Cemeteries Only (No Pet Cemeteries)
- Should be placed at tourist traps
- Look for places you would want to take a photo in front of to share on social media
- For ideas on what we are looking for, check out this site: www.roadsideamerica.com
- Virtual Garden Places Munzees can be deployed as an indicator of a Munzee Virtual Garden.
- Munzee Virtual Gardens are player created works of art based on virtual Munzee deploys.
- Only one Place is allowed per garden, and the garden must contain a minimum of 50 virtual type Munzees.
- Link to the spreadsheet associated with the garden in the notes.
- These have a smaller proximity radius than other Places Munzees at 0.5 miles as well as a different point structure:
- Deploy: 40
- Capture: 10
- CapOn: 5
- Friendly Suggestion from MHQ: Add a link to the map in the munzee details so players can see the garden. Also, leave the link to the spreadsheet associated with the garden in the notes after approval, so others can help grow it!
- Stage theatres will not be accepted
- These include train and bus stations, as well as subway or rail line stops. Bus stops will not be accepted.
- National Parks, Amusement Parks and school playgrounds will not be accepted.
- Outdoor play places/parks only. No indoor businesses.
- No McDonalds/Burger King/etc playgrounds.
- These will not include just an ATM, or “cash point” but an actual bank. The bank may be inside another business but must be a full service bank.
- They may be found at lakes, oceans, rivers, and many other bodies of water.
- “Beaches” at amusement parks, neighborhood pools and small playgrounds will not be accepted.
- “Real” beaches at “real” bodies of water are the intended locations.
- These may include campgrounds that are a place of business but may also include free campgrounds.
- Golf Places Munzees can be deployed at official recreation places used for golfing around the world.
- This type will include miniature golf, golf courses, disc golf courses, and even some businesses providing indoor golf services.
- Drink Depot Places Munzees can be deployed at places used for producing alcoholic beverages around the world.
- This type will include vineyards, wineries, breweries, and distilleries.
- This type will NOT include bars and restaurants.
- A link to the website for this location is required in order to confirm production is done on site. This is needed to differentiate between bars, brewpubs, pubs, and the actual brewery/winery/distillery.
- Entertainment Places Munzees can be deployed at places used for indoor entertainment around the world.
- This type will include arcades, skating rinks, laser tag locations, BIG malls, and casinos.
- Pet Places Munzees can be deployed at places relating to pets around the world.
- This type will include pet stores, dog parks/beaches, humane societies, and animal shelters.
There are currently 2 badge lines for Places -- one for capturing unique Places Munzees and one for maintaining a capture streak on a Places Munzee. You can see what the first of each badge line looks like below: