PREVIOUS: Capture Your First Munzee | NEXT: Using the Munzee Mobile Maps
Originally the developers of Munzee didn’t expect that the website’s world map would be used very much. After all there is a map in the app too and you should be out capturing things that are nearby right?
Well, it turns out that most players use the website map while they should be working or doing chores. They plan their next hunt and plot their adventures. So that’s what we’re going to show you now. Well, how to use the map, not slack off at work. :)
There are five key things that you need to know about the web map, as highlighed with the numbered stars on the image above:
- The map is updated 4 times a day, so if things are changing fast in your area, it may not be perfectly up to date with reality. However, the app map will always be within 5-10 seconds of “real time”, so when in doubt, open your app. Check the time stamp at the bottom of the map if you want to know when it was last updated.
- The map will “cluster” the pins of Munzees that are close together to avoid crashing your computer’s web browser. When this happens they will appear as light green circles with numbers in them. Just keep zooming in if you want them to separate into individual Munzees. If they won’t separate at the highest zoom level, then they are hidden in exactly the same place which means lots of points!
- The map will show you which Munzees you’ve captured or deployed. While these icons might be part of a cluster at farther zoom levels, as you move in you’ll be able to identify them by their red and grey markers respectively. No point going back there unless you’re doing maintenance or something special has happened to the Munzee.
- The map will show you special Munzees with special properties. We’ve given the different types of munzees their own help section, so we encourage you to go read about all the various kinds of Munzee and their special properties and rules.
- You can set a home location to save you time! Setting a home location will pre-zoom the map to one that approximates your neighborhood, burough, town or county. You can change your home location in your settings and the button on the map page will take you right there.
There will be some changes to the map in the future after we complete some of the core gameplay that we have planned for 2012. Until then, the map is pretty basic but it gets the job done. If you have suggestions for improvements to the map we suggest you join the player forums and share them.
Next up: How to use the Mobile App Map